You’re really going to like this.
At least I hope you really like it.
No... I’m sure you’re going to like it. Why?
Because it’s delicious.
This idea is stolen. I’ll admit it, I am a blogger stalker. And a huge percentage of the foods I make are based off of blogger recipes. Because let’s face it, all these bloggers out here are really smart cookies. And they have great ideas, and the cooking chops to back it up. So when I make their recipes I try to make it better (which, is not always possible, because it can’t get any better), or suit it to my tastes. So when I saw this in Peanut Butter Fingers, I knew Julie was on to something.
And so my quest for the Pancake Cake began. A baked pancake that is light and tender, with a crispy exterior, and lots of flavor! It took three attempts, and a lot of reading, but I got it. It’s perfect. Don’t change a thing. And I am usually an advocate for “make it your own” but really, make it as is first. And then add chocolate... I know I would.
Citrus Berry Pancake Cake
3/4 cup milk
3 Tbls melted butter
Zest of 1/2 a medium size lemon (~ 1 tsp)
Juice of 1/2 medium size lemon (~ 1 tsp)
2 Tbls sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup AP flour
1/4 Whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup frozen mixed berries
1 Tbls sugar
- Preheat oven to 425*
- In a medium size bowl beat egg and milk with hand mixer (or stand mixer) for about 3 minutes, until light and foamy
- Beat in melted butter, lemon zest, juice, sugar and vanilla
- Mix in flours, baking powder and salt, stir until just incorporated, batter should be lumpy
- Spray 6X9 pan with non-stick spray, spread batter in to pan
- Sprinkle top with berries, pushing them down slightly (berries should not be covered with batter), and then sprinkle with sugar
- Bake at 425* for approximately 20 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean
-Serve with maple syrup, or powdered sugar, and sweetened whipped cream
MIYO (make it your own)
The toppings and mix-ins are endless. Here are a few combos that I plan on trying:
- Beat pumpkin into wet ingredients, with cinnamon, and nutmeg
- Beat a mashed banana (or melted peanut butter) into wet, and mix in chocolate chips
- Almond extract, sliced almond, and orange zest/juice
- Top it with maple syrup, powdered sugar, chocolate shavings, sweetened whipped cream, powdered sugar glaze, nuts, fruit coulis, sprinkles